1. Take care of the things that goes into the tank. You can definitely increase the lifespan of your septic tank by means of being cognizant regarding the various kinds of things you place in it. Make sure not to place any cigarette ends, wet tissues, diapers, napkins, coffee grounds, fats, cooking oil and other non-biodegradable substances in the septic tank. These non-biodegradable substances are capable of causing blockage in the septic tank which would require you to have an expensive repair job.
2. Keep the drain field. The drain field is the main section of your septic tank which aids to take away the solid wastes from the liquid ones. Here are a couple of tips that can help you to maintain your drain field. Be certain not to park your car close to the drain field. Be certain that the trees are planted at a safe distance from the drain field in order to keep the roots from growing in the drain field or close to it. And also, be sure that the rainwater drainage systems like the sump pumps and gutters are kept away from the drain field area.
3. Assess the septic tank every now and then. By means of having a continuing inspection and appropriate upkeep of the septic system by a professional, you are actually increasing the normal lifespan of your septic tank.
4. Take advantage of pumping services. The septic tank necessitates to be pumped out at least every 2 years in order to make sure that all of the solid waste products will be broken down very well. Regular pumping of septic tank will not only aid in increase the life of the tank, on the other hand, it also prevents system failure.
5. Control the utilization of household chemicals. Keep in mind that too much use of household chemicals such as drain cleaner, bleach and detergent to mention a few can lead the septic tank to malfunction. The household chemicals are capable of stopping the action of the bacteria present in the tank which is responsible for the breakdown of waste products.
6. Ask assistance from the experts. With regards to the maintenance and cleaning of the septic tank, you must always depend on the assistance of the experts. The septic tank service provider will go to your house and systematically evaluate your septic tank for presence of damages as well as leakages. They will evaluate the sludge layers and the scum so as to find out the real source of the problem. And even though you just find out just a very small problem with your septic tank, it is always highly recommended that you call a professional for any assistance.